WORLD TRANSPLANT GAMES 2013
Durban, South Africa July 28th - August 4th, 2013
About the Games
"The Officers and Councillors of the World Transplant Games Federation are pleased to announce that South Africa has won the bid to host the 2013 World Transplant Games"
The World Transplant Summer Games embrace all ages, anyone from 4 to 80 years old who qualifies is welcome to participate. There are over 50 events to suit all capabilities including Track & Field events, Cycling, Road Races, Swimming, Golf, Tennis, Table-tennis, Badminton, Squash, Lawn bowls, Volleyball, Petanque & Tenpin Bowling. The standards of these Summer Games can be high. The 100-metres has a competition record of 11.18 seconds and the long jump 6.85-metres.
The games is a celebration of the human spirit that gives individuals, most with previously life-threatening ailments, the opportunity to compete in a high-level sports event and show that not only are they able to lead normal, fulfilling lives, but also push the boundaries of their physical endurance.
It is an event that offers hope to those who are awaiting transplants, and provides incentive for the general public to become donors by showing the very real difference that organ transplants can make to the lives of young and old.
• Attracting more than 3,000 participants from up to 70 countries
• Featuring a total of 14 sports including athletics, swimming, table tennis, badminton, lawn bowls, cycling and volleyball
• Offering a village-like atmosphere with family-style apartments close to the Games hub, beach and shops
• Showcasing the best Gold Coast sporting venues including the internationally renowned Royal Pines Golf Course – home of the ANZ Ladies Masters.
• Introducing the excitement of beach volleyball at Kurrawa Surf Lifesaving Club, Broadbeach